Storyweb
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Storyweb

Storyweb is a place where writers can gather and spread their art!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

General Chat

Go down 
+18
Totally Isn't Maxxtoron
Teedler
Mr Allen J
Leonir01
UltraNERO
Sairei
Whitefire
KuatYards
Randomnator
ThePrussianCompy
Glict
Celo the Impossible
The Stalker of Shadows
FlowerFox
ViperaUnion
Zaroas
Darkel
Whoster
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
FlowerFox

FlowerFox

General Chat - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 4:41 pm

So... Has anyone taken a look in the Roleplay Interest Check section in awhile?
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion

ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 6:27 pm

I was actually going to ask some questions about it, but then other people kind of had the same questions as me, so there really wasn't a reason to post after they received their answers. I'm pretty interested, overall, but whether or not I join would probably depend on what kind of plot you have in store for all of the characters.

Overall, a lot of people don't look at the interest check section. I actually posted two different RP's in that section in the past and nobody ever looked at them. It kind of got me frustrated, so this most recent time, I kind of just did the interest-checking process in General Chat, since people were actively posting and would see it.
Back to top Go down
FlowerFox

FlowerFox

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 8:03 pm

Alright then, I'll just post some stuff here. I was kind of hoping for three people to say they were interested, but we'll see.

FlowerFox wrote:
I just kind of spontaneously came up with this idea, and I think it's interesting. Basically, the premise is that everyone plays a character from some well known franchise, except they get teleported to some place, and they have amnesia. The catch is, none of us roleplayers (except the GM of course) knows who the other role players are playing as, so we all have to try and figure it out based on the characters' actions and what not. I know there still needs to be a bit of work done, but what do you guys think? Is it something you'd be interested in?

Leo asked some questions, so here was my response.

FlowerFox wrote:
Leonir01 wrote:
Sounds like Dimensional Clash, yet very different. My only concern if someone is Mario, the second they say something like "the very confused man took his hat off and looked at it. It was red and had a big white spot with a red M on it."

I was actually planning on having the character's come in wearing a white t-shirt, light grey sweatpants and white sneakers (all tailored for them, of course) rather than their old clothes to make it a little less obvious. So Mario for example wouldn't be wearing his red hat. To us he'd just be a short mustached Italian man.

Leonir01 wrote:
Also, how much do people forget because the Pokemon world has the exact same franchises as us except for Pokemon, of course.

They would forget their name, their abilities, their jobs, who their friends were (or if they even had friends), essentially their identity. However, they would still be able to remember things that were commonplace in their world, such as pencils, scissors, McDonald's, or in Mario's case goombas, etc.

As for plot, I was thinking something of a mix of a sandbox and a story arc. Maybe open world is a better word. The realist inside of me is saying that there is a really high chance this RP won't last very long, so I might start it off with the plot being characters wake up in a strange world, with strange clothes, and no memories. The goals would be learning about each other, exploring (and learning some things that might connect to the story arc), surviving, getting their memories back and ultimately trying to get back home. If the RP seems to be doing well for a long enough time, then I'll implement a full adventure story arc. What that is exactly I'm not sure yet. I'd have to work on that. Or I'd just leave it as it is if everyone's having fun.

Everyone here has more experience than me, so I would like to hear your thoughts. My ultimate goal after all is to make sure everyone's having fun.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion

ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 8:59 pm

I would personally try to invent a main plot for the story before creating the RP (It doesn't have to be detailed, just a general idea), because a story might not get far unless it has a definite path to follow. It would be a good idea to have the story-related events far apart, with breaks in between, and a large allowance of freedom for characters to engage in sub-plots, in order to draw out the story. It also might stand to reason that if people choose both antagonists and villains for the story, there might additionally be sub-factions among the group in the story, where villains gang up to take down the heroes, and such, since people might retain the part of their personalities that made them either good or bad. That kind of villain-versus-hero conflict, which actually rarely appears in RP's, is extremely good, because a huge chunk of the RP could be a collection of sub-plots with two characters fighting each other.

The story can be near-autonomous if you have characters that are shaky allies forced to work together, but still occasionally fight because of differences in opinion, because you have the grounds for someone plotting something harmful towards a group they regard as an enemy, and the retaliation that happens or the act of foiling them because someone figured it out ahead of time. Despite this, outright violence can't happen every time enemies run into each other, simply because they're stuck together, regardless if they like it or not. That in mind, you have plenty of time to figure out more specific details for a plot. You just have to remember to post the plot moving forward when sub-plots alone start to grow stale.
Back to top Go down
FlowerFox

FlowerFox

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 9:32 pm

Duly noted, Vipera. And thanks for the advice. Smile I have some general ideas for the plot, I just need to refine it a bit. Unless someone objects, I'll see what I can come up with. Though I can't say for certain when the OOC will be up.
Back to top Go down
Leonir01

Leonir01

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 1:22 am

ViperaUnion wrote:
Overall, a lot of people don't look at the interest check section. I actually posted two different RP's in that section in the past and nobody ever looked at them. It kind of got me frustrated, so this most recent time, I kind of just did the interest-checking process in General Chat, since people were actively posting and would see it.
Maybe we could advertise the interest check threads here. Like this: Your Guide to the Galaxy
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion

ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 10:35 am

Well, also at the time nobody responded to my General Discussion posts. Now they do, though, so I guess the community revived itself after a period where nothing seemed to happen.
Back to top Go down
Sairei

Sairei

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 3:01 pm

FlowerFox wrote:
*snip*

We did a roleplay like this awhile back. It was called Triviis. I played as Medic from Team Fortress 2.
Angel played as Scout, from the same game.
Glict was Engineer, also TF2.
Canis_dirus was Samus from Metroid.
I had a secondary character named Primary from Stargate Atlantis.
Dragonbud played Chopper from One Piece.
Canis also had Master Hand.

There were a lot more I don't remember....
...but it had the same sort of idea. Characters wake up in a strange world and wish to get home.

I suppose the difference was if it was canon in whatever they were from, it was canon in the RP.
For example, Medic had regenerative abilities, Scout could double-jump, Engineer could build things out of scrap metal, Samus could turn into a ball...
Back to top Go down
http://safyr3.deviantart.com/
ViperaUnion

ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 3:19 pm

Chopper? If we can do anime protagonists, then that will be a really fun RP. You can get some pretty cool character powers out of it.
Back to top Go down
Sairei

Sairei

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 3:36 pm

Well if this is remotely like Triviis, I want to play Revan post Jedi-mindwipe from KOTOR.
Back to top Go down
Leonir01

Leonir01

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 2:31 am

ViperaUnion wrote:
Well, also at the time nobody responded to my General Discussion posts. Now they do, though, so I guess the community revived itself after a period where nothing seemed to happen.
It's ironic that you say that just before the general discussion's post rate dropped down to 0 posts a day. I guess I just changed that, lol.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion

ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 8:11 pm

Yeah, we have a tiny community. I would still say it's more active, though. It feels that way.
Back to top Go down
Whoster
Admin
Whoster

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 8:53 pm

Quick, everyone, I need ten pounds of dynamite, a blasting cap, and a fuse. Don't ask what for.
Back to top Go down
Leonir01

Leonir01

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 9:11 pm

Whoster wrote:
Quick, everyone, I need ten pounds of dynamite, a blasting cap, and a fuse. Don't ask what for.
Here's the hat.
General Chat - Page 11 E74f1533c5013338950eee9c66cd6c0d-d6a7i4h
Here's the dynamite.
General Chat - Page 11 Dynamite
If you need any more dynamite, just drag the picture of dynamite into a new tab.
Back to top Go down
Randomnator

Randomnator

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 2:03 am

Leonir01 wrote:
Here's the hat.
General Chat - Page 11 E74f1533c5013338950eee9c66cd6c0d-d6a7i4h
Here's the dynamite.
General Chat - Page 11 Dynamite
If you need any more dynamite, just drag the picture of dynamite into a new tab.

TIME TO FUSE!

General Chat - Page 11 Tumblr_lgzmp0oiPq1qf8kb8o1_r3_400
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion

ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 8:25 pm

...Well, as badly as I want to ask, I can't since I was instructed not to...
Back to top Go down
Whoster
Admin
Whoster

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 8:49 pm

*runs out of Roleplex carrying various body parts*

NO ONE SAW ANYTHING. GOT IT?
Back to top Go down
Leonir01

Leonir01

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 10:53 pm

Whoster wrote:
*runs out of Roleplex carrying various body parts*

NO ONE SAW ANYTHING. GOT IT?
The closest thing I got to "seeing" it was your post, but I don't really care. All of the boards there were locked anyways. Well, back to trying Skyrim for the first time.
Back to top Go down
Darkel
Admin
Darkel

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 1:25 pm

You don't want to see Roleplex. It was a terrible experience.

But if you are curious, I think this thread will sum up the entire experience. http://roleplex.forumotion.com/t354-my-resignation
Back to top Go down
Sairei

Sairei

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 2:18 pm

Back to top Go down
Leonir01

Leonir01

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 2:36 pm

Holy crap, things were even worse there than I expected.

You know, something similar is actually happening on the Sporum right now if you think about it, but instead it's more about Spore related RPs and non-Spore related RPs. While I understand that the Sporum is supposed to have Spore related RPs, they are the Spore forums after all, but for a lot of people, the Sporum is their only RP community. Those people want to make RPs that aren't Spore related to do with the people they know on the Sporum, but all but one non-Spore related RP has survived, Dimensional Clash VII, and only because people who played earlier entries in the series returned to play it. Superraptor's Elder Scrolls RP, EropsToads Fire Emblem RP, Techtonik, etc... have all failed because there were never enough people willing to join them. Then I started to notice something, the the RP section seems to have two groups. One consists of Shroober, Vandom, and others from Darkling War while the other has Cardiackid, Zandoo, and others from DCVII. Those two groups almost never joins the other's RPs. The only one to have both groups participate in was Space Engines, but that died out because half of the people never posted. I can think only about three people who at least tries to participate in both groups RPs, Jawlord, Min_Lo, and I. Things are starting to slowly get worse. It used to be if someone found an RP they didn't think belonged or liked, they just ignored it. Now one or two RPs got posts saying how the RP didn't belong and such. I'm afraid that the RP section of the Sporum is on its way to doom.

Sorry, I had to let that all out where minimal amount of people from the Sporum might get offended.
Back to top Go down
Darkel
Admin
Darkel

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 3:23 pm

The Sporum will never be in the situation that Roleplex was in. I have never in my online life seen so much hate and aggression and circlejerking and ganging up on others. The Sporum's RP section is much smaller than the community of Roleplex was, and I don't think it's in a huge condition of strife. Simultaneously I'm not aware of any harsh relationships between the RPers there. Roleplex members hated one another. The worst part was that three of these trouble makers were moderators, and they did everything in their power to protect their friends while cheating everyone else and ganging up on them. None of the Sporum RPers are SporeMasters, which helps. And at the same time none of them have such bloated egos as people like Lonestar (Allen) and Lieo (Patches).

But regarding the RPs themselves, that is why Roleplex was originally made. We wanted to get all of those non-Spore RPs out of there. For about a year or two it was a success at that goal and helped give people an outlet. And to be honest, Roleplex was a huge reason for the Sporum RP section's inactivity. Most of the RPers fled to Roleplex and never looked back. When Roleplex was shut down, they either came here or to RPP (Lieo's RP community) or to Roleplayer's Guild (note: I sincerely advise keeping away from RPG. I've been there. It's an awful community.)

The only solution I could offer you is to advise the Spourmers to bring their non Spore RPs over here where they are welcomed.
Back to top Go down
Leonir01

Leonir01

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 7:27 pm

You made some very good points. I'm going to PM Superraptor in a bit asking him to see if he could get his Elder Scrolls RP set up here, after he PMs you the RP application of course.
Back to top Go down
Darkel
Admin
Darkel

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 8:32 pm

We don't really have any fantasy RPs with that kind of background so I think it'd be okay if he just posted it. Since I already saw his Sporum thread and know what it's about. That application was mainly made so we know what is coming, so that there aren't any more incidents like on Roleplex where a trend forms and drowns out all the other RPs.
Back to top Go down
Leonir01

Leonir01

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 8:38 pm

Okay, I'll let him know that he doesn't need to submit an application.

A quick update, Superraptor is going to post an interest check first before posting the OOC to make sure there are enough people willing to play.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Chat   General Chat - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

General Chat
Page 11 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Storyweb :: Community :: General Discussion-
Jump to: